The Engagement Center is a safe haven which offers key services to those experiencing homelessness within our community. From needing a place to rest to applying for housing, the Engagement Center is a central hub where our clients can feel safe and respected as they access a wide variety of resources. To see if you qualify for certain services please see below.
If you would like to utilize Engagement Center services please see the intake hours provided in the calendar below or call 617-623-6111 to speak to a member of our staff.
Our Outreach Team performs case management services out of the Engagement Center. Case Management services include applying for IDs, benefit attainment, MassHealth assistance, shelter referrals, accessing recovery services, and more. For Outreach drop in hours please the calendar below.
In line with our agencies mission, we also offer housing case management services. Our Housing Navigators can provide assistance with Somerville Housing Authority enrollment, responding to screening packets, applying for housing, accompany clients on apartment tours, furniture searching, and more.
The Engagement Center is equipped with a variety of resources to support those experiencing homelessness. Resources we provide at the Engagement Center include but are not limited to:
- Emergency snacks, drinks, and hygiene products
- Clothing and Apparel (Hats, gloves, jackets, shoes, hand warmers, and other seasonal items)
- Internet and laptop access
- Secure lockers (availability pending)
- A Recovery Room for rest
- Sharps Disposal Containers
- Access to healthcare services
- Support Groups
- Further Services
Our staff reaches out to form relationships with those in the greater Somerville & Arlington communities who are experiencing street homelessness. We work with other providers to visit areas where homeless people gather and encampments where they sleep. Our staff helps them find shelter, food, and other resources.
Do I Qualify?
In order to qualify for our Housing Assistance Program, you must meet HUD’s definition of Literal Homelessness. This requires that an individual has a primary nighttime residence that is:
1. A public or private place not meant for human habitation- car, outside, etc.
2. Is living in an emergency shelter or transitional housing program
3. Exiting an institution where they have resided for 90 days or less and resided in an emergency shelter or place not meant for human habitation immediately prior to entering that institution.
If you meet the above definition and are interested in accessing SHC’s Housing Navigation Program, please stop by our Engagement Center between the hours of 9-5 (closed 1-2 for lunch) Monday-Friday. Alternatively, you can check our Engagement Center calendar for drop in hours.
If you do not qualify but are in need of assistance, please call the SHC main office at 617-623-6111 for a referral to an agency or program you will qualify for.